Wednesday, July 8, 2009

New Parking Spaces: Great Solution, but New Problem?

In the picture below you see two cars parked on 9th Court. Before yesterday the car on the right (near the building) would have been parked legally and the car on the left (near the canal) would have been parked illegally. But that changed yesterday and now it is legal to park on the canal side of the road but not on the building side of the road. Anyway, I think that is what is happening. I do not recall receiving any notice or flyer or other form of explanation from the BOD or Property Management regarding the parking change. The maintenance crewman that did the painting said that he added 10 new parking spaces and removed 2 old ones.


The old yellow parking stripes,on the building side of the road, were "blacked-out" and new yellow stripes were added on the canal side of the road (pictured below). I assume that the sign that reads "no parking, Fire Lane" will eventually be removed from where they painted parking places in front of it (below, top-right picture).



There is no question that the extra parking spaces are greatly appreciated. The big question, though, is whether the new parking scheme will create an unsafe traffic situation. Parked cars along the road will narrow the street so much that two cars may not be able to pass each other. Worse, there is a blind corner at the end of the newly painted parking area.

2 comments:

  1. A dangerous problem has definitely been created. As a resident of building 33, I've already nearly had a head-on crash trying to get home at night. With cars parked along the canal next to buldings 36 & 37, there is only one-lane access. If you are coming around the corner of bulding 37 to drive along the canal to buildings 32 & 33, you cannot see a car coming from the opposite direction. You have to come to a full stop at building 37 and look very carefully before you go around the curve. The stop sign that is currently on the canal side of the street behind building 39 needs to be moved to the opposite side of the street before the curve at building 37. I reported this and hopefully it will be done soon before someone gets hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard from inside sources that the parking spaces might be removed altogether. Like you, I hope that the current situation does not persist for long as it is very dangerous and I am afraid that it makes the Association vulnerable to an expensive lawsuit.

    ReplyDelete