Thursday, March 12, 2015

Results Are In - The Winner is "Change"

The winners are: Cynthia Potts, David Saldarriaga, Tracy Thomas, and Harold Scott.  

I was late getting to the meeting tonight, and had to leave before the results were in because the counting of the vote went long into the night. I was told that there were approximately 158 votes cast. That is a very high voter turn out, compared to previous years. In 2007 there were 106 votes, in 2008 there were only 63 votes, and in 2009 there were 147 votes.  (I have not kept track of the past several years and would welcome that information if anyone else knows the voter turn-out numbers for years 2010 - 2014.)

I was also told that as many as 16 ballots were disqualified because the names could not be verified as unit owners. I also witnessed that a couple of the ballots were set aside by the election monitor when they were opened because they had been enveloped incorrectly.

Even though I was not there when the results were announced, I received information from two reliable sources at about 11:20pm, naming the four winners. Their reported vote totals were Cynthia = 99, David = 87, Tracy = 85, Harold = 72.  (I have no information about the vote counts of the others.)

It is worth noting that four members of the previous Board of Directors were relieved of their duties tonight. In these kind of elections, many unkind things can be said about candidates. Maybe some of that is deserved, but probably not all of it. In any case, let us be gracious and thank any and all who are willing to donate their time, efforts, and caring to the common good through their service on the BOD. 

Phyllis Fabara, Paulette Watson, and John Lovell, Willie Perkins, I (we?) thank you for your service. 

Left to right: The state appointed election monitor, TAJ attorney Beth Lindie, and her assistant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment