Saturday, July 19, 2008

Construction Progress: July 2008

Una traducción española está disponible en Web site: www.TAJWatchSpanish.blogspot.com

Construction on Building 26 is finally complete, it seems, and it is now waiting for paint (above, left). The construction project started sometime before the first of the 2008 year. Jim Miles' crew was at a fast pace for a long time, but then slowed to a crawl by the end.

Sources say that more refurbishment projects are in the works. The plan, apparently, is to work first on the buildings that that can be seen from the streets outside the community. That means that the next buildings to face refurbishments are Buildings # 28 & 42 (pictured above, center and right), 1*, 6, 7, 10, 11, 15, 16, and 17.

It is clear from the pictures of buildings 28 and 42 that there are still some buildings that have a big need for refurbishment work. It seems that especially sundecks are vulnerable to water intrusion and subsequent rot.
[click on pictures for larger images]

*building 1 is actually not scheduled for renovations in the next phase of construction, but will be considered at a later date due to its relatively better condition than many other buildings at TAJ. I apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience caused by this mistaken information.

3 comments:

  1. When the contractor does not get paid is it any wonder they slow down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve wanted to know why all construction work has come to a complete stop in the community

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOD members know more about this than I do. I have heard from several different parties that there was some dispute with one or more of the contractors over something like billing or invoices, etc (like I said, I do not have the specific information).

    I have also heard that bids invitations for bid proposals have been sent out to several contractors regarding buildings 6,7,10,11,15,16,17.

    I know from personal experience that the process of doing major projects like this takes a lot more time than one might think it would. However long it would normally take is multiplied by the need to do it all by committee (BOD) and further encumbered by the need to involve unit owners (who rarely participate until the last stages of the project when many decisions are necessarily already made).

    One hopes that the delay in the refurbishment projects will give enough time for the housing market to improve somewhat so that the affected homeowners will have a better chance of being able to afford their Special Assessments.

    Good question. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete